Monday, July 28, 2008

Heller Fires Back at Washington, DC Politicians

For those of you who haven't stayed abreast at the after-effects of the gun ban case, DC's mayor and the city counsel have dragged their feet since the ruling. Fortunately for us rights-respecting folks, Heller and his backers aren't sitting idly by. I just received the following via an email:

DC FOR HELLER

July 28, 2008

HELLER PRESSES CITY TO FOLLOW SUPREME COURT RULING
Plaintiffs Continue to Stand Up for Citizens' Rights

Dick Heller, et al., filed a complaint (For Declaratory Judgment, Injunctive Relief, and Writ of Mandamus) against the city today to force them to comply with the US Supreme Court ruling in the District of Columbia v. Heller and to protect our individual rights such as the right to defend ourselves in our own homes. The current regulations violate our rights in several ways such as the unconstitutional ban on semiautomatic firearms, the discretionary fee-imposition power of the police chief, the undue burden on the right to a lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense, and in other ways.

On June 26, 2008, the United States Supreme Court held in District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783, 2821-22 (2008), that "the District's ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense."


The District's ban on semiautomatic handguns amounts to a prohibition of an entire class of arms that is overwhelmingly chosen by American society for the lawful purpose of self-defense in the home. Semiautomatic pistols are issued to and commonly possessed by officers of the Metropolitan Police Department for self-defense and other lawful purposes.


Dane von Breichenruchardt of the US Bill of Rights Foundation will be available for questions tomorrow, Tuesday, July 28th, at 9 A.M. at the lower steps of the US Supreme Court Building. Dane can be reached at the US Bill of Rights Foundation at 202-546-7079.


Plaintiffs are Dick Anthony Heller, Absalom F. Jordan, Jr., and Amy McVey.


-- 30 --



Attorneys for Plaintiffs are

Stephen P. Halbrook (D.C. Bar No. 379799) and Richard E. Gardiner (D.C. Bar No. 386915)

10560 Main St., Suite 404

Fairfax, VA 22030

(703) 352-7276

10 comments:

Peter Orvetti said...

Heller may or may not be running for "Congress" (as I call our delegate election). I don't think it's certain yet.

exqweezme said...

Great to see Mr. Heller continuing to work towards greater constitutional rights for DC residents.

The DC "Emergency Legislation" is completely contrary to the specifics (much less the spirit) of the Supreme Court majority opinion.

Anonymous said...

I wish not agree on it. I think warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to review the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Well I to but I about the post should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

hello fellas. I'm really into shoes and I had been digging allowing for regarding that singular model. The prices for the boots were approximately 170 pounds on every page. But completely I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for that particular brand. The prices as regards the shoes were approximately 310 bucks on every site. But definitively I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good day everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for that singular make. The prices as regards the boots were approximately 350 bucks on every site. But for all I bring about this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm really into shoes and I had been looking for that meticulous brand. The prices seeking the velcros are around 250 dollars on every site. But definitively I bring about this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy those. what do you think?